Tuesday, May 22, 2018

THE TERRORS OF THE BARREL YARD

Going Deeper into the Backlots

If we so chose we could walk even further back into the lots and we  would reach Dunnell Lane and a fenced off area that was the Barrel Yard and that was  heavily sign posted.  KEEP OUT
ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

We could not see into the Yard but we could hear the deep yells and curses of men and sometimes the scary sounds of dogs growling fiercely, barrels rolling and crashing. We longed to go inside--at least I did.  But only very bold  boys would venture across that barrier and climb that fence.  AND  they only did it as the twilight deepened and we were  near darkness. 
WE had to go home  when the streetlights came on--but that was their signal to risk invading the barrel yards--and rouse the junkyard dogs waiting there.

What did they hope to find there?  I would not learn the answer to that for years. 
Bur now we would begin to  run fast up the hills  to emerge in one of the yards on Rhode Island Avenue and then back to my house for supper.  And no one would be the wiser. All my mother would see if she stood on our porch was  me obediently coming up Brewster street as the lights  flashed on.
Once inside I was  expected to wash my hands and set the table for supper.  My sisters never came to the lots with me--they were too unsteady on the steep hill and the boys there were too rough and would make fun of them. And then I would have the task of  making them pay for that. Not possible.

Those boys were the rough boys that hung out at Dick's Variety. Let's go there next.
And what did they find at the Barrel Yards? I did not find out until I  began to date a boy who lived on RI Ave, and told me of his Barrel Yard adventures and showed me his loot. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm eating up your words, Norma! Really look forward to reading your blog every week. You didn't answer the question, did Yash's niece and family show up on time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oOmplex situation-- we have a season ticket to the GAMM Theater in Pawtucket and although I can no longer sit that amount of time in an audience my friend Elaine will come and take Yash. Well there was a performance of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing and I knew that he would love it. SO if they came late he would need to cancel his theater trip but if they came by 11AM he could visit until 1:30Pm.
      SHORT ANSWER--They came only a few minutes after 11 AM and Yash really enjoyed their time. He says so little but he played with the kids on the front porch and at one point began reading to them from a book they had brought _HARRY POTTER.

      Delete