Thursday, June 21, 2018

REMEMBERING RICHARD GREENBERG

Norma Jenckes
June 17, 2018

NOW ALL WE CAN SEE  IS HIS BEAUTY
Saddened to hear of the death of an old friend. I met Richard in Urbana in 1967 when we were both attending the University of Illinois as graduate students. Although in different departments, we were introduced by a mutual friend and instantly clicked. Richard had a great sense of humor and also he was quite philosophical in an almost mystical way.
 Our time together at Illinois was only a few years, but through the good offices of that same mutual friend, we continued to keep abreast of the developments in each other's lives. I offer my condolence to Richard's children and their mother. Richard was extremely supportive of my son Joe whom he encouraged and helped after his graduation and move to NYC.

 In those years in the 80's I sometimes would also run into Richard and was always warmly welcomed to the Greenberg Associates offices in the city.  Richard with his brother Robert had started a  design firm RGREENBERG ASSOCIATES that soon became world famous for their extraordinary  design of film titles.
I do recall several lunches in Los Angeles in the 90's when I was visiting family. Richard's creativity was enormous and wide and he had taken his talents to LA. Once over a late lunch in a place in Venice Beach we both noticed the mist beginning to envelop the scene. And I recall Richard in his poetic way saying,
 "At times like this in the misty afternoon fog the dirtiness and sadness of LA seem to disappear and in the fog one can't see much but what we do see is finally beautiful,"

 I have not met Richard for several years, but I am certain that as the late mists came into his life as they do to us all, anyone who looked could see his beautiful soul shining.

I N LOOKING FOR  ONLINE OBITS, I CAME ACROSS THIS  HONEST AND AMAZING  ESSAY BY HIS  SISTER

http://www.chicagomag.com/arts-culture/June-2018/On-the-Life-and-Death-of-My-Brother-Dickie/

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is always interesting, down to earth and heart-warming. Yes, keep going. John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. I am glad that you are enjoying the blog. It is sort of a big bag full of all sorts of things --like life itself.

    ReplyDelete