Saturday, August 18, 2018

NO JOY IN MUDVILLE---


warning--this is a very gloomy blog entry.

Well, it  is definite now the PawSox are leaving Pawtucket.  
WE have sort of known it was coming.  Little notes in the sports pages and  Patinkin's  columns  in PROJO  speculating about what could be dome with the stadium after the  DEPARTURE

But still I felt a little stunned when I saw the definite news  on Friday.   Anyone who reads this blog knows how much I cherish the presence of McCoy and the  Paw Sox here in my  native city
Today when .journal rolled out several features, they focused on some local people. I was touched to see a Palagi speaking  up and  I was soon  recalling  their ice cream  trucks--bright  yellow --that toured our neighborhood when I was young.
 I do not really feel able to write about this event. It feels like a gigantic betrayal led by the wicked SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE  and mostly ignored by the elitist Governor.

I keep on asking myself a question that I cannot answer:
WHY DO THINGS KEEP GETTING WORSE  IN PAWTUCKET?

A version of this question  was asked  about a century ago
  by the great Russian poet Anna Akhmatova

Why Is This Age Worse...?

Why is this age worse than earlier ages?

In a stupor of grief and dread

have we not fingered the foulest wounds

and left them unhealed by our hands?

In the west the falling light still glows,
and the clustered housetops glitter in the sun,
but here Death is already chalking the doors with crosses,
and calling the ravens, and the ravens are flying in.

Translated by Stanley Kunitz (with Max Hayward)

No comments:

Post a Comment