Sunday, August 26, 2018

LOST IN ONE GENERATION


Things that are gone and  probably won't come back--and not just in the BUCKET
NO, THIS IS NOT ANOTHER LAMENT ABOUT THE LOSS OF THE PAWSOX, OR THE GAMM, OR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, OR THE NARRAGANSETT RACE TRACK, OR ALL THE CLOSED  MILLS.
 No,  it is deeper and stranger than those desertions.

What strikes me deeply is the loss of cursive writing.
Yes,  the American  children born in the past 20 years do not  know how to write using the cursive form--they can only print.
AND they do very little of that, since they mostly  communicate through TEXT or TWITTER where their thumbs do the talking.

I know some elite graduate departments in subjects like Literature and History that are requiring that students learn cursive  in a summer program.  How else can they  read letters and documents that are often hand-written and are a big  part of archival research?

I hope I don't sound  too bitter but 
-- FULL DISCLOSURE--
I do not own a smart phone and I do not  know how to tweet or text:
I do not have the capability on my land line.  Yes, I still do have a landline.  And I still do have  a television and tv channels.
 I do not know how to STREAM and I have never listened to a PODCAST',
SO there I have made my confession,  OR ARE THEY MY BOASTS?

I still read books--probably an average of two a week --and I am addicted to  a series of mysteries --like the BURREN MYSTERIES by CORA HARRISON. Now I am telling the secret pleasures.


No comments:

Post a Comment