Saturday, April 20, 2019

WHO IS WORTHY?


HOW COULD ANY HUMAN BEING  BE IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR  CHRIST TO DIE TO SAVE US??

"Moses was a reluctant prophet. Deeply aware in his heart of the need to confront the brutality of the pharaoh in Egypt, God calls out to him: “I have heard the cry of my people and I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people out.” But, scripture says, Moses insists, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh … Suppose they do not listen to me … I am slow of speech and tongue. Send someone else!”


How many times have I excused myself --but I have migraines--or I stutter--or I cannot walk well anymore.

The Moses story is a charming study. It makes clear how much time it can take to face the fact that something must be done and that we are expected to do it. Does Moses doubt that God was with him? No. Did he doubt that this liberation of the people was God’s will? No. Moses believes both the voice and the vision. But he shows us something very important for our own lives: Lack of faith in God is one thing, but lack of self-confidence can be just as bad.


One thing that I have  often noticed about Saul/Paul is that God had singled him out to  join his disciples and bring the News of the Christians worldwide--but first He  knocked him off his (high) horse and He blinded him (in order that he could  See) and then He gave him his marching orders.
All the energy that Paul had used to  persecute Christians would now become the force to build  the Christian community. 

To deny the abilities I’ve been given—thought, insight, wisdom, analysis, understanding, explanation, persuasion—is a virtual sin against creation. When I do this I degrade the virtue of humility to a kind of debased self-knowledge. I withhold from the human community the very gifts I have been freely given for its good.


 Having gifts is nothing if I don’t use them. To praise the Creator for seeding the universe with them and praising them in others is hypocrisy if we ourselves fail to use them to their limits.

Most serious of all, this kind of pious worthlessness tends to obstruct the prophetic enterprise. And as Moses found out quickly, God does not like the “I am not worthy” argument!


It’s time to understand, with Moses, that the God who calls us to our responsibility for the world will also be with us as we shoulder our part in it. That same God will send the help we need, yes, but more than that, faith in that God will make the rough ways smooth.


"Even our failures, we will come to understand, will be turned to success in the end. Most of all, people pleasing goes when the worthiness argument disappears. We know who we are and why we do what we do, and no amount of self-doubt or breast beating can stop our journey to justice. Then, like Moses, our time comes and we are ready to be a joyful part of humanity’s slow rise to the fullness of itself."Joan Chittister

Since no one is worthy, we  are all left with the example of the Virgin Mary's FIAT or the shout-out of Isaiah 
 "Here I am Lord."
God knows who I am and what I am and  He is giving a come-as-you-are party.  
THIS EASTER LET ME START FROM WHERE I AM--AND SEE WHERE I CAN GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment