Monday, November 19, 2018

Haiku are Back in the Bucket

AM I A HAIJIM IN TRAINING?


Haiku is a compelling form and it has drawn me back.  Since I announced in July that I was interested in Haiku I have continued to pursue that deceptively simple and difficult form.
I have been writing Haiku and keeping a special haiku log. I have  also submitted  more recently a group of new haiku to an editor who  has encouraged me in the past.  He came through again--he said that they showed  an advance in Haiku for me and then he recommended that I consult  some books of Haiku written by people writing contemporary Haiku.

One book he mentioned   BEAK OPEN FEET RELAXED presents the haiku of Priscilla Lignori. I can see the connection again between haiku and zen . She also details an apprenticeship with Clark Strand. That connection becomes even more evident when I also ordered THE ESSENTIAL HAIKU edited by Robert Hass and focusing on three of the greatest writers of Haiku--Basho, Buson, and Issa. What is most valuable here is that Hass leads off with a detailed and very helpful introduction.

I like the way he admits his own limitations---because  that is what haiku confronts us with:
"I know that for years I did not see how deeply personal these poems were or, to say it another way, how much they have the flavor--Basho might have said "the scent" -- of a particular human life, because I had been told and wanted to believe that haiku were never subjective...One returns to their mysteriousness anyway."

 One haiku at random from Basho:

Even in Kyoto --
hearing the  cuckoo's cry--
I long for Kyoto.

NOW FROM THE SUBLIME TO THE  NON-SUBLIME

I have been keeping up a daily practice of writing haIku.  Here are some of my efforts for the past few weeks:


DAILY HAIKU SAMPLER

Geraniums bloom--
outside ice frosts the window--
my mother's kitchen,.

Floating in water--
apples bob waiting for ghost,
witch, Wonder Woman.

Cough, sneeze, throat clearing--
harsh chorus welcomes winter--
dead leaves litter my porch floor.

Bird feeders spill seed--
a flock of red-winged blackbirds
fend off the squirrels.

When the blackbirds rise,
they flash rubies as they fly--
taking their treasure.

Late autumn bare trees
show us where  squirrels nested--
hidden in plain sight.

Neighbors died last year--
cut back trumpet vines regrow--
they want privacy.

Winter sleet inscribes
frost lace on windows weakens
autumns windy grasp.

The lemon tree sits--
safe from winter storms outside--
even snug leaves fall.

He is an open book--
blank pages where money writes.
Why would he hide that?


Rain darkens the sky--
at dawn's gray light furnace starts--
the oil man appears.

Mandarin Duck lands--
cheers birders in Central Park --
China is so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment