Thursday, July 26, 2018

HAIKU NOVENA AT OAK HILL


MY HAIKU  EXPERIMENT

I guess this was  bound to happen--I  want to share some of the haikus I have written recently.  You know about the Haiku  experiment I tried with a series of  9 Haiku grouped in a kind of poetic Novena.  I ended  up  composing  several of these Novenas because I  kept on veering into new subject areas and would see that it was a new grouping. 

With my attention in the  past month caught up in grieving, I suppose that it is only to be expected that this concern with the dead might show up in my Haiku writing. Especially because Haiku --I now understand--is a  form of contemplative practice that does seem to tap our deepest and not always conscious thoughts. It connects a momentary glimpse of something in nature with a  personal emotional place.
  
I offer these as a humble gift back to the ongoing and unsurpassed example left to us
 by MASTER POET BASHO



HAIKU NOVENA AT OAK HILL
1.
Sky darkens, rain pelts
you went for a walk today
you'll get soaked, come home.

2.
You come through the door,
you made it home, thunder claps,
so do I, we laugh.

3.
How narrow the gate
and how constricted the road
who find it are few.

4.
Told your sister died
you placed a single red rose
before her picture

5.
On a leafy bank
green ferns wave their lacy fronds
Is there a fragrance?

6.
Summer solstice here--
brown sparrow perched on birdhouse
last one you built me

7.
Oak's secret garden
leafy shade lures us through gates
find a place apart

8.
This ground is sacred:
Union soldiers dug their graves
left to free the slaves.

9.
Tiger lilies bloom
blaze orange among tombstones
Indomitable.



No comments:

Post a Comment