Tuesday, April 14, 2020

ADVICE OF A YOUNG AND AN OLD POET



ADVICE TO A YOUNG POET
BY NOEL MONAHAN



Break the lock on the field gate
Avoid the muck-worms at the gap
Abandon old visions you have of yourself:
Self pity in the face of a terrible God
The tribe of ghosts constantly shouting.
Get to meet God’s strange people living there:
The silenced priest, the lost child . . .
Stay in the field with its mysteries
Sift through the grass with the brown hare
Listen to the hills clapping hands,
Crab apples dropping into the ditch.
If you remain long enough
You’ll feel the warmth of a candle burning inside you,
The blur of its flame constantly changing.
I like this poem and it made me wonder what would be the advice I would give to Old Poets?  As an old poet myself, I should have something to offer.
Like the young poet, I have come to understand that creativity is a  gift from GOD.  It is the  large aspect of God's  Divine Mission--He created everything.  And  our souls give each of us a small piece of that creativity.  That is the basis of my  strong belief in the creative power of every  human being.  The only thing that we  can do wrong with our talent is to bury it--hide it under a lamp.  We  must  bring what we have  to bring to the table of life.
I had a dream about heaven last night that I want to share with you today. Don't get me wrong, I was not there to stay. No, I wasn't there to stay; I was just there as a census taker. 
I was wandering the golden streets counting and looking for friends.  Most people there were  clearly  Muslims.  There was a  large group of Buddhists and  a very small  tribe of Christians.  It did not scare me; it sort of amused me. 
When I woke I thought maybe the dream was a warning that although Christ came to save everyone, not enough Christians have taken  up his  teaching seriously in all its radical simplicity.

He repeated it  to each one he called,

"Leave everything you have and

 follow me." He said it; we read it but we did not get it. Why? Because on some level we like our material goods too much.
Maybe this dream is also a result of the fact that I have been  reading the listing of the 99 Attributes of God that is  part of Islam. 

 Daily I look at the attributes and I have never finished all 99 in one reading. 

Why?  Because  I am caught by one of them and am a little surprised by it and then I feel the rightness of it.   And I feel something in me relax and expand.  Yes, I think this is an attribute that I have not thought about before. And I stay there and think some more about this attribute that shows me another facet of the Infinite Beauty of God.

 One of the great gifts of Islam to the world  is its unrelenting  focus on the greatness of God and the way that everything is in the Hands of God.

IT makes  ALLAH a bit remote and distant; especially to us Christians who prefer the image of a Baby in a manger--so lovable and not scary.  But  keeping the focus on the greatness of ALLAH  also reassures us that Allah is in charge. 

ISLAM  teaches that mankind is actually too puny to alter the course of  the Divine Will and of the Human Destiny  that Will has provided for us all. 

That same Truth is embedded in the one prayer that Jesus taught mankind  in the Our Father
"Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." 

No comments:

Post a Comment