Friday, April 13, 2018

AFTER THE BATTLE


MARGARET HAD A FIERCE  LONGING   FOR JUSTICE

I know that when I  wrote about my Aunt Anna Coleman one of the things that I stressed was her  participation in "Shows" that  I would  arrange with my sisters Janie and Sheila as a sort of last resort  to amuse them--it was  my ace card that never failed.  For the past  months I have been having unexpected finds when Mikey, a Conlon cousin, helps me twice weekly to go through the endless boxes of books and household items stored in our  patio and garage.
Recently I found tucked in a collection of Irish poetry a little folded  blue paper with my childish penmanship listing the  sequence of songs and performances for one of those shows that I recall so vividly but of which I am the only still living participant.

So finding the little program is like discovering evidence that I am not  making these memories up. Sometimes I  doubt myself  and wish I could  talk  about them with a witness,  but that is difficult when no one but me is  alive to remember them.
So I was amazed when I found  the little folded paper that listed what must have been a Saint Patrick's Day show. All present were  full participants, and my Uncle Joe must have been visiting because he is included as Brother Cyril.

Here is the program:
 Intro --Me
WHEN IRISH EYES ARE SMILING ---Sheila (my younger sister
THE WEARING OF THE GREEN  ---All join in
DANNY BOY   ---  Norma
recitation  by Norma of
AFTER THE BATTLE  by Thomas Moore
After the Battle by Thomas Moore
Night closed around the conqueror's way,
And lightnings show'd the distant hill,
Where those who lost that dreadful day
Stood few and faint, but fearless still.
The soldier's hope, the patriot's zeal,
For ever dimm'd, for ever crost --
Oh! who shall say what heroes feel,
When all but life and honour's lost?

The last sad hour of freedom's dream,
And valour's task, moved slowly by,
While mute they watch'd, till morning's beam
Should rise and give them light to die.
There's yet a world, where souls are free,
Where tyrants taint not nature's bliss; --
If death that world's bright opening be,
Oh! who would live a slave in this?



McNamara's Band---  Aunt Anna with Drum
 and all join in with pots and pans 

Comic Recitation  Dinty McCarty spoken by Anna
(I don't recall how this   goes and could not find it on the internet)

Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms--Margaret, my mother

My Wild Irish Rose-- Janie, Sheila, and Norma

Molly Bawn--Norma

The Rose of Tralee--Brother Cyril--Uncle Joe

I am sure  there were a few Irish jigs thrown in  since Anna often led Janie and  Sheila in  dancing.
We always  ended with a group recitation of  a section of SAINT PATRICK'S LORICA 

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right,
Christ on my left, Christ in breadth, Christ in length,
Christ in height, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.

I arise today through a mighty strength, the invocation of the
Trinity, through belief in the Threeness, through confession of the
Oneness of the Creator of creation.
Salvation is of the Lord. Salvation is of the Lord.
Salvation is of Christ. May Thy Salvation, O Lord, be ever with us.


My mother called this the Breastplate or the CRY OF THE DEER  and  told us that once when  his enemies were  waiting in ambush to kill Patrick and his followers  they were seen by their would-be attackers as a group of deer passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment