Wednesday, October 16, 2019

NOBODY'S PERFECT IN THE BUCKET

ONLY GOD IS PERFECT.  WOW That is a relief. 

The Islamic faith got this truth right.

They value the imperfect in their work--even their rugs are not perfect. Perfection is  God's reality and it is our aspiration.

"DELIBERATION BEFORE ACTION PROTECTS YOU FROM REGRET" Inscription on Islamic bowl.

That is the best we can hope for--be deliberate and  then act--even then we will not  make anything perfect.

Our mortality gets in the way. 
 And as we get older the fact of aging also complicates and makes  some of our  resolves seem impossible and delusional.

Sometimes when I lay awake at night I review the delusions that I have  entertained in the day.
I am saddened by the fact that I will most likely not travel to Ireland and see Lough Neagh and the OLD CROSS at ARDBOE again and all my cousins  who still live there.

 I fear that I will not recover  my health enough to make a move-- either across the state line to Massachusetts or across the country to California to be closer to my son and his family.

  Then I  stop my sad thoughts, say a decade of the rosary, and turn everything over to the Almighty. 
I remind myself that if it is impossible for me, then it is not God's Will for me.  So I ask  Him to  allow me to see the way forward that He wills me to follow.  Then I usually fall asleep.

Evidence of my own imperfection became even clearer when I  suffered from an infection that turned into Sepsis and then Septic Shock.

Here is an essay   that was the result of an interview with Ethan Shoney the editor of a local weekly--The Valley Breeze.  It will make my imperfections very clear--

I know that it says in the Gospel "Be ye perfect as your heavenly father is perfect."
So again, God is  already perfect, and we should strive to be perfect.  But perfection is like the goal of Zeno's arrow--it is always at a distance.  We can halve that distance, but we cannot  get there while we are earthbound.

Not in this life--not until we are taken into heaven  and all the limitations are removed and we are one with the Perfection of the Almighty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment