Sunday, June 23, 2019

My Encounter with Septic Shock

A CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH DEATH

My down-slide that brought me so rapidly face to face with death began with a high fever and then crashed into  teeth chattering shivers and chills. I could not get warm .  I went to my bed and kept piling blankets on myself longing for sleep and an end to the   sense of freezing shivers that shook my body convulsively.  I called my Primary and she said to  come up to urgent visit.

 How would I get there?  I am the only driver and I could not drive in the condition I was in.  Finally, my friend Elizabeth  came by and saw my condition. She immediately called 911 and when they appeared --several Pawtucket fire fighters. She asked them to evaluate me. They said I was very sick with a fever of 102.6 and must go to a hospital immediately.  She asked if they would take me  to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.   They said No--only  in state not in Massachusetts.
  All my doctors are at Brigham including my Primary.
She began to ask about Ambulance Service and called a couple who did not have an ambulance available to up to Boston
Finally one of the firemen suggested a service that he  sometimes drove for-- BREWSTER AMBULANCE.  We called and they did have an ambulance and a few minutes later witnessed by my good neighbors, Doris and Joe,  I was loaded  in and we were headed North to Boston.

Once I arrived at Brigham, I felt a sense of relief--I was in good hands.
I was in one of those small curtained alcoves in the  Emergency room.  They told me that a kidney stone had blocked my kidney and created an infection.I had been rushed into the operating room for emergency surgery  that placed a stent in my kidney to open the blockage.

When I woke up again, I was in a  lighted and  very active Intensive Care Unit. No rest there-- just test after test.  They took me for an MRI and then a CAT scan and then an ultra sound and finally a chest x-ray.  I could not stay awake--I was  going in and out of consciousness.

 Nobody was  with me, I tried to pray and I could remember the Hail Mary and the Our Father.  But I tried and could not remember how to say the MEMORARE.
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, 
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, 
implored your help, or sought your intercession, 
was left unaided. 
Inspired by this confidence, 
I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. 
To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. 
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, 
despise not my petitions, 
but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen.

 There is also one antiphon that I say often during the day :
We adore thee oh Christ, and we bless thee because by thy Holy Cross thou has redeemed the world.--I can write it now but I could not bring it to mind.  I was so frustrated.
I was so annoyed with myself--He said he would go and prepare a place for us,  Has He done that?  Is my place ready?  So passed my first night in the ICU.


No comments:

Post a Comment