Sunday, June 23, 2019

My Encounter with Septic Shock

A CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH DEATH

My down-slide that brought me so rapidly face to face with death began with a high fever and then crashed into  teeth chattering shivers and chills. I could not get warm .  I went to my bed and kept piling blankets on myself longing for sleep and an end to the   sense of freezing shivers that shook my body convulsively.  I called my Primary and she said to  come up to urgent visit.

 How would I get there?  I am the only driver and I could not drive in the condition I was in.  Finally, my friend Elizabeth  came by and saw my condition. She immediately called 911 and when they appeared --several Pawtucket fire fighters. She asked them to evaluate me. They said I was very sick with a fever of 102.6 and must go to a hospital immediately.  She asked if they would take me  to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.   They said No--only  in state not in Massachusetts.
  All my doctors are at Brigham including my Primary.
She began to ask about Ambulance Service and called a couple who did not have an ambulance available to up to Boston
Finally one of the firemen suggested a service that he  sometimes drove for-- BREWSTER AMBULANCE.  We called and they did have an ambulance and a few minutes later witnessed by my good neighbors, Doris and Joe,  I was loaded  in and we were headed North to Boston.

Once I arrived at Brigham, I felt a sense of relief--I was in good hands.
I was in one of those small curtained alcoves in the  Emergency room.  They told me that a kidney stone had blocked my kidney and created an infection.I had been rushed into the operating room for emergency surgery  that placed a stent in my kidney to open the blockage.

When I woke up again, I was in a  lighted and  very active Intensive Care Unit. No rest there-- just test after test.  They took me for an MRI and then a CAT scan and then an ultra sound and finally a chest x-ray.  I could not stay awake--I was  going in and out of consciousness.

 Nobody was  with me, I tried to pray and I could remember the Hail Mary and the Our Father.  But I tried and could not remember how to say the MEMORARE.
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, 
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, 
implored your help, or sought your intercession, 
was left unaided. 
Inspired by this confidence, 
fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. 
To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. 
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, 
despise not my petitions, 
but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen.

 There is also one antiphon that I say often during the day :
We adore thee oh Christ, and we bless thee because by thy Holy Cross thou has redeemed the world.--I can write it now but I could not bring it to mind.  I was so frustrated.
I was so annoyed with myself--He said he would go and prepare a place for us,  Has He done that?  Is my place ready?  So passed my first night in the ICU.


No comments:

Post a Comment