Saturday, August 10, 2019

SHIPS SAILING TO TARSHISH

2 Chronicles 9:21 "For the king's ships went to Tarshish with the servants of Hiram. Once every three years the ships of Tarshish used to come bringing gold, silver, ivory, apes, and peacocks."


I am preparing a collection of poems that I have written in the past two years that use traditional forms.  They include sonnets and sestinas and villanelles and some  Eastern forms like Haiku and sijo.

For some reason the above phrase from the  Bible and the  mention of Tarshish stayed in my mind for months.  I  know that this is an exotic reference but I wanted to use it in the title of my collection. I no longer ignore these promptings or strange associations.  They mean something I just do  not know what--not yet

Perhaps it is  a symbolic figure for using old forms to  carry my treasures like the Ships of Tarshish carried the treasures of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.
My treasures are  my poems and so  I am thinking of calling the volume that I am preparing--

SHIPS BOUND FOR TARSHISH.

No comments:

Post a Comment